10 Benefits of Hospice Care
There are many benefits of hospice care, not only to the patient but also to caregivers and loved ones. The overarching goal of hospice care is to enhance the quality of life for people with a life-limiting illness. At Gilchrist, we provide care that allows people to live their final days to the fullest, in peace and without pain, in the place that provides the most solace.
Here are 10 benefits of hospice care that may surprise you.
Benefits of Hospice Care at Gilchrist:
- Management of pain and other symptoms. Specially trained in providing end-of-life care, Gilchrist nurses offer hands-on care tailored to the patient’s goals and needs and manage pain and other symptoms of illness. Nursing support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week through our Nurse Helpline.
- Education about the illness, how it will likely progress, and how to care for your loved one. The Gilchrist team will show you how to administer medications and provide care for all of your loved one’s needs. The team will spend time answering your questions and will openly and honestly discuss what to expect as death approaches. We also provide you with a comprehensive caregiving guide for reference.
- Medications, medical supplies and equipment delivered to the home. Gilchrist takes care of ordering whatever medication and supplies are needed, and everything is delivered to the home. This eliminates trips to the pharmacy and the stress of having to coordinate deliveries with multiple companies.
- Care, medication and supplies are covered. Under the Medicare hospice benefit, you pay nothing for visits from the hospice team and any medication and supplies related to the hospice diagnosis.
- Hands-on personal care from hospice aides. Our compassionate hospice aides take the stress out of everyday tasks like bathing and dressing while allowing your loved one to maintain their dignity and independence.
- Medical, emotional, social and spiritual support. Your Gilchrist team takes care of your loved one’s medical needs and provides emotional support for your whole family. Your team includes a chaplain who can provide spiritual counseling and support. Whatever you need, Gilchrist is there.
- Help with accessing benefits, navigating the health care system and decision making. Gilchrist social workers not only provide support and counseling but also assist caregivers with accessing resources for all aspects of life – financial concerns, living arrangements, caregiver support groups, advance directive planning and funeral arrangements.
- Volunteer support. Our highly trained Gilchrist volunteers provide a variety of services, including companionship, respite for caregivers and errands. Learn more about Gilchrist’s volunteer program: https://gilchristcares.org/volunteer/
- Extensive grief support for families before and after a death. Whether you are struggling with a loved one’s diagnosis or are grieving a loss, our master’s trained grief counselors are here to offer support through one-on-one counseling, support groups and remembrance events. Find out more about Gilchrist’s Grief Counseling program: https://gilchristcares.org/grief-counseling/
- Care wherever you reside. Gilchrist provides hospice care to your loved one at home or their residential care centers (skilled nursing, long-term care and assisted living facilities). This relieves the stress and burden of having to travel to doctors’ appointments and allows your loved one to remain in the comfort of home. We also offer care in our three inpatient centers – Gilchrist Center Towson, Gilchrist Center Baltimore and Gilchrist Center Howard County.
To learn more about Gilchrist Hospice Care or other Gilchrist services, visit gilchristcares.org.