Volun-teen Program for Teens Ages 14 - 18
Gilchrist has volunteer opportunities for teens ages 14 to 18 through its Volun-teen program. The program is as helpful to our patients and families as it is to our young volunteers.
What Will a Gilchrist Volun-teen Do?
You will visit patients in skilled nursing or long-term care facilities to:
- Provide company to patients who may not receive regular visits from family
- Play cards or board games or work on puzzles
- Listen to music and engage with the patient in a way that is meaningful to them
- Write letters if a patient has trouble writing
- Help with life review, which is often a treasured gift to families
- Create art projects or crafts that can become a wonderful keepsake for families
How Can the Volun-teen Program Help You?
Volunteering will help you gain:
- Community service hours
- The satisfaction of helping someone who may be lonely
- The opportunity to meet other teens with common interests of helping others
- Training and mentorship that will prepare you to interact with patients and families
- Valuable experience with a nationally recognized nonprofit leader in end-of-life care that will benefit you in your future career
- An opportunity to discover if a career in healthcare and serving others is the right path for you
How Do You Become a Volunteer?
The requirements for becoming a Volun-teen volunteer are:
- Two letters of recommendation (one from a teacher and the other from a guidance counselor)
- Signed parental consent form
- 16 hours of in-person training, plus regular get-togethers with other Volun-teens
- A willingness to make a 6-month commitment to volunteer at least 6 hours per month