Gilchrist's History - from 1994 to the Present
More than 26 years ago, Gilchrist’s history began with our first patient. Since then we have been taking exceptional care of our patients and families.
Gilchrist’s History – In the Beginning
From Hospice of Baltimore to Gilchrist Hospice Care
Founded in 1994 as a nonprofit home care hospice, Gilchrist was first named Hospice of Baltimore. Three years later, Gilchrist partnered with Hospice Services of Howard County. It then became Hospice of Baltimore & Howard County. Then in 1996, Gilchrist Center Towson was opened – Gilchrist’s first inpatient hospice center. This center allows Gilchrist to care for patients whose pain and other symptoms are too difficult to manage at home.
In 2008, the organization was renamed Gilchrist Hospice Care in honor of our founding benefactor Jeanne “Jinny” Gilchrist Vance. Her philanthropy and vision were instrumental to the creation and continued growth of the organization. Then in 2009, Gilchrist Center Towson was expanded from 24 to 34 beds. due to higher demand for inpatient hospice care. This demand then led to the creation of our second inpatient hospice center – Gilchrist Center Howard County. More recently, in 2014, we began managing the only residential inpatient hospice center in Baltimore City, which is now named Gilchrist Center Baltimore.
Always looking to meet the needs of our community, we were renamed Gilchrist in 2017 and introduced several new services. These new services allow us to provide care to individuals with a chronic or serious illness. Many of these individuals need extra care and support but may not be ready or eligible for hospice.
Since its founding and still today, Gilchrist relies on donations from many individuals, foundations and organizations throughout Maryland. This support helps us cover the costs of care that is not funded or fully funded by Medicare, Medicaid or private insurers. Donations also help cover the costs of care for those with no insurance and our special programs like music therapy and child life support.
Today and Always
- Gilchrist is the largest hospice provider in Maryland.
- Gilchrist cares for more than 900 terminally ill individuals every day.
- We are committed to meeting the needs of each and every patient, wherever they live—at home, in a residential community care center (assisted living facilities, group homes or retirement communities)—or at one of our three Gilchrist centers.
- Gilchrist provides patients, their caregivers and family members with specialized care and guidance too. We help them address the complex physical, emotional, social and spiritual needs that often accompany a life-limiting illness.
- We care for all patients in need of hospice care, regardless of their ability to pay.
- Certified by Medicare
- Fully licensed by the State of Maryland
- Accredited by CHAP (Community Health Accreditation Partner)
- An affiliate of Greater Baltimore Medical Center (GBMC)
And a Member of the Following Organizations:
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization
- Hospice Alliance of the National Capital Area
- Hospice & Palliative Care Network of Maryland
- Global Partners in Care
- Alliance Kids