Become a Gilchrist Volunteer
A Gilchrist volunteer is invaluable to the care we provide families, and there are many ways you can help.
Ways Gilchrist Volunteers Make a Difference
Our volunteers help in numerous ways. Most of our volunteers work directly with those we serve, while others assist with administrative duties, help at special events or lead grief support groups. Also, volunteers may make follow-up phone calls to our bereaved or provide grief companionship. All volunteers receive specialized training. However, a volunteer may also choose to receive more concentrated training in one or more additional areas, including bereavement, pediatric, end-of-life doula or spiritual care. Below are just a few of the ways our volunteers can make a difference.
- Sharing companionship with those served by Gilchrist, whether by reading aloud or just being a good listener
- Providing respite care in the home to relieve family members from the constant demands of caring for a loved one
- Making memories for families by helping with milestone cards, legacy journaling, or recording stories
- Honoring a veteran through our We Honor Veterans program
- Providing grief support assistance to families after the death of their loved one
- Overcome technology barriers by serving as a Tech Tutor, and teaching patients how to refill their prescriptions online, Zoom with family, or order groceries
- Supporting the actively dying as an end-of-life doula
Specialized Gilchrist Volunteer Roles
While we welcome volunteers in any area, we are especially in need of volunteers to fill the following specialized roles.
- Pantry to Porch – We are looking for volunteers to deliver food from partner agencies in the community to some of our food-insecure families.
- Integrative Wellness – Gilchrist is growing our integrative wellness program, and we’re looking for volunteers who are certified or trained in Caring Touch, massage, Reiki, aromatherapy and pet therapy.
- Gilchrist Ambassadors Speakers’ Bureau – Do you have a background in public speaking or teaching? We are looking for engaging, experienced speakers to join our team of Ambassadors. These volunteers will go into the community to speak at senior centers, corporations, and other venues to talk about Gilchrist and end-of-life issues.
- We Honor Veterans – Gilchrist cares about our veterans, and we are working hard to recognize each and every one of them. We are looking for men and women who are either veterans or are currently serving in the armed forces to conduct Final Salutes to Service when one of our veterans nears the end of life. We are also in need of knitters, quilters and crocheters to create patriotic red, white and blue lap blankets to present to our veterans.
- Memory Bears – Can you sew? We are looking for talented sewists to create huggable keepsakes for our bereaved families.
Become a Volunteer
For more information, contact Jane O’Hara, Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator, at 443.849.8376 or email@example.com.