Volunteer Update During Pandemic
Amid ongoing concern about COVID-19, Gilchrist is suspending all in-person volunteer activity, effective immediately. This includes home care visits, administrative work, team meetings, salutes to service, and volunteer Ambassador engagements in the community. Please see our COVID-19 page for further updates.
Ways Gilchrist Volunteers Make a Difference
Our volunteers help in numerous ways. Most of our volunteers work directly with those we serve, while others assist with administrative duties, help at special events or lead grief support groups. Also, volunteers may make follow-up phone calls to our bereaved or provide grief companionship. All volunteers receive specialized training. However, a volunteer may also choose to receive more concentrated training in one or more additional areas, including bereavement, pediatric, end-of-life doula or spiritual care. Below are just a few of the ways our volunteers can make a difference.
- Sharing companionship with those served by Gilchrist, whether by reading aloud or just being a good listener
- Providing respite care in the home to relieve family members from the constant demands of caring for a loved one
- Running errands for caregivers, such as picking up a favorite food at the grocery store
- Honoring a veteran through our We Honor Veterans program
- Providing grief support assistance to families after the death of their loved one
- Supporting the actively dying as an end-of-life doula
Specialized Volunteer Roles
While we welcome volunteers in any area, we are especially in need of volunteers to fill the following specialized roles.
- Spiritual Support – We are looking for volunteers to provide spiritual support for our palliative care patients living in residential care centers. These volunteers will visit with individuals who are feeling disconnected from a spiritual community. They will provide comfort, offer prayer and read from spiritual or religious texts.
- Healing Arts – Gilchrist is growing our healing arts program, and we’re looking for volunteers who are certified or trained in Healing Touch, massage, Reiki, meditation, aromatherapy and pet therapy.
- Gilchrist Ambassadors Speakers’ Bureau – Do you have a background in public speaking or teaching? We are looking for engaging, experienced speakers to join our team of Ambassadors. These volunteers will go into the community to speak at senior centers, corporations, and other venues to talk about Gilchrist and end-of-life issues.
- We Honor Veterans – Gilchrist cares about our veterans, and we are working hard to recognize each and every one of them. We are looking for men and women who are either veterans or are currently serving in the armed forces to conduct Final Salutes to Service when one of our veterans nears the end of life. We are also in need of knitters, quilters and crocheters to create patriotic red, white and blue lap blankets to present to our veterans.
Volunteers must attend training. To learn more, contact Mary Antonucci at firstname.lastname@example.org.