Palliative Care (Advance Care Management)
When a loved one is seriously ill, it can feel confusing and lonely. It may be hard to make sense of all the information you are hearing. The Gilchrist Palliative Care (Advanced Care Management) team can help guide you through the uncertainties that serious illness brings. Our care focuses on quality of life and keeping you or your loved one comfortable and pain free.
What Is Palliative Care?
Above all, Palliative Care focuses on improving the quality of life for those with chronic or advanced illnesses. Gilchrist’s experts offer medical care and emotional support. In addition, they provide education about your illness and what to expect. For example, they will explain treatment options to you and your family. Moreover, they will talk with you about your goals for care. Gilchrist provides this care in select hospitals and long-term care centers. Services can be provided at any point in the course of an illness, from diagnosis onward.
Who May Need Palliative Services?
Anyone with a serious or chronic illness can benefit. For instance, Palliative Care can help people who have:
- Heart disease
- Lung disease (e.g., COPD)
- Liver or kidney failure
- Dementia, ALS or other neurologic conditions
Where Are These Services Provided?
Services are offered at:
- Greater Baltimore Medical Center (inpatient and outpatient Cancer Center)
- Howard County General Hospital (inpatient)
- Genesis HealthCare, select sites in Towson and Baltimore City
- Lorien Health Systems, select sites in Howard County
How Can Palliative Care Help You?
Our care team are experts in helping people deal with the uncertainties that come with serious illness. Most importantly, our team will:
- Take time to understand your goals of care
- Explain your medical condition and answer your questions
- Help you understand how your illness may progress
- Discuss treatment options
- Treat your symptoms to give you the best quality of life
- Engage discussions about care options with your family
- Offer support for your emotional needs
- Help guide your family through the health care system