Happy New Year from Gilchrist!
A message from Gilchrist’s president, Catherine Hamel:
I hope you had wonderful holidays filled with joy and laughter, family and friends. It’s hard to believe it is already 2020. Another year, another decade, a continued opportunity to serve and support others.
As we prepare for the year ahead and reflect on the defining moments of the past year, I am filled with gratitude for the support of our community, which has allowed Gilchrist to provide exceptional care for so many. I am proud of the many services we have provided to seriously ill individuals and their families this past year. To name just a few, in 2019:
- 4,860 patients received hospice care
- 580 people received Elder Medical Care in their homes, helping the elderly and frail avoid hospitalizations and travel to doctors’ offices
- 70 children and families received hospice care through Gilchrist Kids
- 520 patients received music therapy
- 365 patients received culturally sensitive Jewish Hospice Care
- 545 veterans were served, ensuring their unique needs were met at the end of life
- 525 volunteers donated 38,900 volunteer hours, providing support and a helping hand
- 3,270 people were served through grief counseling, support groups, workshops and bereavement events
To accomplish all this, Gilchrist relies on its tremendously talented and committed staff of nearly 650, who are dedicated to helping our patients and families live life to the fullest. Hospice care is challenging work, and we recognize that our employees’ ability to care for others is dependent on their ability to take care of themselves. That is why Gilchrist encourages all of its employees to prioritize self-care.
If you are a caregiver of someone with serious illness or have recently lost a loved one, I hope you also take some time to care for yourself—a day at a spa, a volunteer experience, a Netflix night watching mindless TV, a good book, or whatever else helps you relax and refuel. Take a moment to care for “you” and know that you are appreciated. Then make a commitment to caring for yourself all year long.
Thank you for being a friend to Gilchrist. I wish you and your families a safe and prosperous 2020.
To learn more about Gilchrist and the services we provide, visit gilchristcares.org.